Given the current situation surrounding the spread of the coronavirus, Mainz 05 will train behind closed doors as of Tuesday, 17th March. The first team will have Sunday, 15th March, and Monday, 16th March, off.
"This is a new and unusual situation for all of us. After our final training session, we were informed that matchday 26 would be postponed and we then returned home from Köln. Both the team and the coaching staff welcomed the decision from the DFL. Although we all love football and getting to play in front of our fans in the Bundesliga every weekend, there are other things that are more important," said head coach Achim Beierlorzer. "It's about taking the right precautions in order to protect not just ourselves, but also those people for whom the coronavirus represents a potentially fatal illness. As of Tuesday, all our training sessions will take place behind closed doors until further notice, and we will try to make the best of it. Our team and our medical staff - who, like the club, remain in constant contact with the local health authorities - are well-informed about the virus and will be following the recommended preventative measures."
"Postponing the matchday was the right decision," said sporting director Rouven Schröder. "It's a way for us to do our part to ensure that the virus does not spread any further and is a good example of how to tackle the issue in a responsible manner. We owe a duty of care to our players, employees and fans, and can set an example for the rest of society. It's important that Bundesliga teams use their influence to set an example by following the recommendations from the health authorities as closely as possible. Each and every one of us, including myself, have a responsibility to do so. That's why we are trying to follow these recommendations outside of the training ground as well. It's also important to remain calm - while we understand the interest in wanting to know what will happen with the remainder of the season, it makes no sense to speculate about how things will continue and what effects any future decisions may have. We will wait and see what decisions are made at the DFL meeting on Monday and will draw conclusions from that. At the same time, we remain in close contact with the local health authorities and are working together to develop a response to any new situations that may arise and any potential new measures we may need to take."